Thursday, September 26, 2013

Song




Song jetty - present day

Song, bukan lagu, is a small river town located on the banks of the Sungei Rajang and Sungei Katibas confluence. The town is between Kanowit and Kapit towns Sarawak, about 3 hours by express boat from Sibu. It was an important trading town in the days of old. The town itself was at about 50 feet above the river, with an undulating ridge at the rear of the town. There was an old company size army camp built by the British army. This camp was sited in the most un-tactical location. I still believed that the sitting of this camp was done by an officer who did not make it to staff college. Nor was the camp built by an Engineer Squadron. It was most probably erected by an infantry assault pioneer platoon. The camp was built in a bowl like valley with several rows of Bowen barracks on stilts. Sentry posts were sited on the high features overlooking into the camp.

Kem Song had a platoon from the RAMD battalion in stationed Kanowit when I had first visited Song. I visited Song because I was to pay a courtesy call to the Commander RASCOM. I was promoted to Lt Colonel a week ago and was posted to HQ 1 Div Kuching as the SO1 Logistics. After a week’s orientation in 1 Div, I scheduled to visit RASCOM and 5 Bde in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Otherwise I would never in my life hear of Song, much less visit the place. I still have some doubts if any Gunner had visited Song.

I bring up my visit to Song because I want to write about camaraderie. I believe camaraderie is much lacking in present day soldiering. Camaraderie can originate from the most unusual place. Like Song.
I arrived Song mid morning, smartly dressed in my cheloreng, with new chips on my shoulders, after a three hours ride by the daily Express Boat from Sibu. Commander RASCOM and his G staff were at RASCOM TEK HQ in Song. After the usual welcome, greetings, hellos, salutations and briefings, a happy hour and drinks were in order to celebrate with the new SO1 Log. After all, the commander was non other that Brig Jen Dato Yahaya, RAMD, a stylish beer drinker and thoroughbred gentleman.
I have never met the commander before, although I had heard of his drinking reputation in the likes and league of the late Colonel Abu Hassan, also RAMD. 

And so we drank beer under some coconut trees in Camp Song. As usual happy hour lasted more than an hour and we were celebrating my promotion. Until today, I still do not know why “happy hour” is called “happy hour” in the army. But happy hour it was and still is, despite the fact that it always last much longer than an hour. I had never done a happy hour under the hour. I can only suppose happy hours were needed to foster and cement camaraderie.

Camaraderie starts with a spark, goes through lots of drinks and laughter; and ends with a hangover.
The weather was hot that mid morning and it got hotter into the afternoon and evening. Needless to say with cold beers flowing, it does not make any difference in the weather. All of us including General Yahaya took off our cheloreng shirts and hung them on the branches of a nearby Jambu tree. It was hot.

We drank to almost dusk and “stand to” time. Happy as we were, we weren’t drunk. I was the first to put on my shirt so that we could adjourn for stand to. I buttoned up my shirt, put on my combat webbings and barret. I stood in front of the commander with the intention to take leave from him and the happy group of officers.

General Yahaya stood up immediately and gave me a smart salute to the astonishment of all present. I was awed and speechless. The general saluted me, not me him. And he was not drunk.
I recalled the embarrassing scene very well till this day. I had put on the general’s shirt, stars and all. I was “promoted” twice in two weeks.

Camaraderie with General Yahaya and others lasted to this day.
Drinks anybody?

Allen Lai

No comments:

Post a Comment