Friday, September 20, 2013

Last Gun Standing



To me Prime Time was the best time (worst for some) for the Regiment. Prime Time was held once every 18 months. Prime Time was usually followed by operational duties and roulement to the border ops. There were also other tough times like the CIV inspection, ARTEP, ADMIN inspection and the dreadful unscheduled visit by the “Tim TAP” from MINDEF.

It was the third year of my command of 1 ARTY and I loved those times except for the tough times mentioned. But 1 ARTY had always performed well in the CIV inspections, ARTEP and ADMIN Inspections. The terror “Tim” never visited me except for once and that was when I looked for trouble and invited the “Tim” to the Regiment. 1 ARTY was doomed, with only one gun in the Regiment serviceable whilst in Asahan. I had caused panic at 3 DIV and the Directorate.

 1 ARTY could not be deployed for operational duties. It felt like Doomsday and I was pretty sure that I was at the exit threshold of my career.  But I stood tall and resolved. I bravely fired a ZT target in Asahan with only one gun left standing to prove my point. I had 23 guns from 4 gun batteries classified unserviceable (US).

AND Regimental morale was at its highest.

1 ARTY had the oldest 12 guns in the Corp. Our guns were brand new when issued in 1963. It was now mid 1980s. We were kept “brand new” through annual CIV inspections. Or were they?
Year in year out we did the same preparations for CIV inspection. Borrow essential parts from other Regiments just before CIV. We literally had to borrow everything except the gun barrel. The OC LAD and the QM TECH knew the drill. No sweat. The CO was pleased and that matters most. I got wised to it only in the third year of my command. This cannot go on. Not in my command. No more initiatives. I bit the bullet and stuck out my neck for the Regiment.

We were going to Asahan for Regimental maneuvers and life firing for our Prime Time training. This was to be followed by border ops and the CIV inspection when we returned from the Malaysian Thai border.

The first part of the Prime Time exercise was for regimental maneuvers and the gun batteries came in and out of the various gun positions in the range. Then came life firing. I had ordered the OC LAD to classify unserviceable for any gun that had inspection problems, even if the results were slightly out of measurement tolerances. I want our guns out of action with a view to do OPDEM demands for gun parts in preparing for the border ops.  This would also augers well for our CIV inspection later in the year. We will not borrow again for CIV. 

The OC LAD understood my resolve and diligently classified our guns US on a daily basis. Each time we fired he ordered the guns to be inspected for tolerances and serviceability. Gun sights, cut off gears and other essential equipment were condemned. Every day, three to four guns from the gun batteries were down. On the last day of life firing exercise, we had only gun left standing, out of 24 from the four gun batteries.

End of mission. I ordered all gun batteries to assemble in PAPA Position before going back to Kem Terendak. I took the parade and explained to the Regiment not to be worried or sad because all guns were out of action, save one. We raised our morale by shouting Gempur Wira three times. We then mounted and went home happy.

We returned most of the training ammo back to the Regiment’s ammo dump.

The next day I reported to 3 Div and Arty Directorate that 1 ARTY was out of action and could not deploy for ops. The QM Tech flashed out OPSDEM for new parts. 3 DIV and the Directorate flapped, all hell broke loose and I was called up immediately. TIM TAP came to the regiment the very next day. Unbelievable. The whole Regiment’s 23 guns were unserviceable? Yes SIR!!

Allen Lai was in trouble AGAIN.

We laid out the guns on the square for inspection. We showed the OPDEMS. OC LAD showed the inspection forms.  Certified and stamped. We said we couldn’t go for border ops. The ball was with 3 Div / Directorate for immediate action. News got out fast. Other COs called me and said they would lend me this or that gun part. Arty Directorate was at best sympathetic. I said thanks but no thanks. I could take the heat.

OPSDEM demands works. We got all our parts and OC LAD certified all our guns serviceable again. I had pulled it off. We went on ops and we were alright for the next CIV inspections.

I never remembered if we had lent out our gun parts to other regiments for their CIV inspections. My QM Tech never told me, and my 2IC only smiled.

Allen Lai







No comments:

Post a Comment