Saturday, May 17, 2014

Of leadership and barking


You do not buy a dog and bark yourself. Yes, My family used to have a lot of dogs with us. We loved dogs and at one stage we even reared up to 8 dogs in our house. Lots of barking but not once did I bark.

Barking seems like an inherited and cultured trait in our army like in most armies all over the world. A Chief of Staff barked at me. And I responded with a simple “You talking to me sir?”  That did not cooled him off but certainly he was taken aback. You bet I am furious and upset as well, but I know too well not to retaliate with myself barking to my subordinates in a chain reaction. That is not what a leader should do. 

I had learnt this lesson from my favourite general. General Yusof Din does not bark. His upset-ness and sternness is most effectively felt, even if he had just whispered “Bisa”. We would feel his wrath with just a simple word “bisa” and would work double hard to rectify the problem.


A parade commander is not necessary a good leader. He barks out orders as required to perform the drill movement. He is not leading the parade as in leadership. He is synchronizing actions. His command is a necessary bark, and loud enough to be heard, only for precise timing and movement, but not a leadership style or trait to empower subordinates to take actions.

I am not a good leader, just mediocre at best. But I think I am good enough to lead my subordinates without having to bark like a dog.

My wife Peggy does all the barking in my house and she is the Minister of home affairs.

Have a nice non-barking day.

Allen Lai





1 comment:

  1. Sometimes barking is a necessary evil. Then again we have to bite once in a while to get things done. Such is the fluidity of true leadership. Patton, MacAuthur, Gandhi or Dr. M, the choice is yours.

    ReplyDelete